Sunday, December 4, 2011

The German Shepherd Theory

So some of you may not know that when I moved back to Buffalo, more than just my relationship changed, my career trajectory changed as well.  When things finally ended with my long time love and I headed back to Buffalo,  I was pursing a graduate degree in history. I returned to Buffalo and the plan was to get a job, any job with benefits that would keep my mind minimally engaged and I would write my dissertation.  Fast forward two years, and things have not quite gone to plan.  It turns out, I don't want to write a dissertation.  I may never have wanted to write a one.  I'm not sure, the revelations just keep coming.



As for my job, let me stress, first and foremost, that I work for a wonderful place where people strive everyday to make the world a better place and, largely, they succeed.  Secondly, I have met some of the most wonderful people I have ever encountered in my life. Friends I hope to keep for the rest of my life and some of the smartest, most kind, dedicated humans anyone will ever have the good fortune to encounter.  What's more, in this economy, I am grateful to be employed.  So you see, it could be so much worse. It's just that well, my job, the work that I do, doesn't quite keep my particular intellectual fire burning.   And I'm not quite sure what I want to do.  What do I want to contribute?    

This German has career goals! 
SO what happens when your former career goals are maybe no longer what you want, your current job isn't doing the trick and you are feeling a bit adrift?  Well, in this instance, I think I've figured out that my mind is starved for activity.  It's jumping onto the next, new bits of information I've been introducing, which in some instances is dating related.  Rather than analyzing primary source historical data, I'm OVER analyzing text messages, phone messages, and comments over dinner.  In short, my current career conundrum is what's allowing me such easy passage to Crazytown.   I'm like a German Shepherd left in a two room apartment all day long.  German Shepherds are very smart dogs and left without a job to do, they will find their own activities.   Activities like barking incessantly or eating the couch.  This realization left me feeling both chilled and freed.  "Bad dog!  Stop destroying your furniture!  Good dog!  Free your brain from Crazytown and get moving!"  


So what's next?  I'm not really sure.  But as I continue to figure out my next step, I'm hoping that this realization keeps me from eating another proverbial couch cushion.  And speaking of eating, this entry's recipe is German Chocolate Cake!  Combining chocolate, coconut goop and pecans, it happens to be my favorite of all the chocolate cakes.  This recipe comes from The Joy of Cooking, which I simply refer to as The JOC:


Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour two 9x2 inch round pans.  
Sift together: 
2 1/14 cups sifted cake flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt


Combine and stir until chocolate is melted and smooth:
4 oz sweet baking chocolate, finely chopped. 
1/2 cup boiling water


Combine:
1 cup buttermilk or soup cream
1 tsp vanilla


In large bowl , beat until creamy:
2 sticks unsalted butter


Gradually add and beat on high speed until lightened in color and texture, 4-6 mins:
1 3/4cups sugar
 Beat in one at a time
4 large egg yolks


Add the melted chocolate and beat just until incorporated.  Add the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with buttermilk mixture in 2 parts, beating on low speed, or stirring with rubber spatula, until smooth.  In another bowl, beat on med speed until soft peaks form, 
4 large egg whites
scant 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
Gradually add beating on high speed
1/4 cup of sugar
Beat until peaks are stiff but not dry.  Use rubber spatula to fold one quarter of the egg whites into the egg yolk mixture, then fold in the remaining whites.  Divide batter among pans  and bake until toothpick comes out clean, 25-30 minutes.  Let cool in pans on rack for 10 minutes.  Remove cake from pans and let cake cool completely.  Fill center with Coconut Pecan Filling, leaving sides bare. 


For Coconut Pecan Filling, combine in med sauce pan, 1 cup sugar
1 cup evaporated milk, heavy cream or half and half
3 large eggs
8 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into pieces. 
Cook stirring constantly, over med heat, until mixture is thickened and bubbling gently around the edges.  Reduce the heat to low and cook, stirring, for 1-2 minutes more.  Remove from heat and stir in:
1 1/3 cup flaked sweetened dried coconut
1 1/3 cup chopped pecans
Let cool until spreadable.  


There is another recipe I heartily enjoy from David Lebovitz, who lives in Paris, is amazing and I love him.

2 comments:

  1. Yum that sounds awesome and I'm excited to see what new task your German self takes to :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Danielle! I grateful to have you along for the ride :)

    ReplyDelete